| As the 30th anniversary of the historic Million Man March approached, Minister Henry Muhammad, Minister Farrakhan’s Student Minister of Muhammad Mosque #7C in Brooklyn, New York looked back at the culture at that time and the impact then and now. “Just thinking about it brings back good nostalgia,” said Min. Henry Muhammad. “The Million Man March didn’t happen in a vacuum,” Min. Muhammad said. “This was over a ten-year period of the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan doing tours of ‘Stop the Killing’ messages to our people in the late ‘80’s after he had come to Madison Square Garden in ‘85. A couple of years after that he had been doing “Stop the Killing” tours because of the fratricidal homicides that was taking place so much in different areas where our Black youth were around America. That was around the time of the crack epidemic.” The last part of the tour in 1993 was at Jacob Javits Convention Center. Min. Muhammad continued his recollection: “The Minister said at that meeting on December 18, 1993, ‘I would like to come back and speak to the men. Just the men. If I come back, would you all come out?’ And the crowd said ‘Yes.’” In January 1994 the Minister came back to the 369th Armory in an all men meeting and 15,000 came out.“ All throughout 1994 the Minister was having all men meetings. But it was at that first meeting at the 369th Armory that the Minister was inspired to say, ‘I would like to take a million men to Washington, D.C.,’” said Min. Muhammad. “He said when he saw the words coming out of his mouth he wanted to pull them back. But it just came to him.” The seed of that idea was planted. The entire event was 14 hours. Min. Muhammad recalled that “At a certain point there were brothers on that mall who got tired of hearing all the different speakers and started saying “Farrakhan! Farrakhan!” They were like ‘I came to hear the man who drew us all out here.’” READ MORE |