The U.S. Supreme Court recently overturned Roe v. Wade, eliminating nearly 50 years of Constitutional protection of a woman’s right to an abortion. Startling statistics show that the Court’s decision will disproportionately impact Black women.
The Supreme Court Decision has unleashed a wave of oppressive legislation in States across the country drastically restricting women’s reproductive rights and options. Congressional action is the most effective, and perhaps, the only way to stop and reverse this trend. There is bipartisan support in the U.S. Senate for a bill that would protect women and guarantee access to abortion, contraception, and other privacy rights. But the Senate’s filibuster rule may stand in the way of moving that important legislation forward.
Call to Action
Contact U.S. Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV), Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), Susan Collins (R-ME), and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) to demand that they vote to suspend the Senate filibuster rule and pass legislation that reinstates federal protection of women’s reproductive rights enshrined under Roe v. Wade.
Contact U.S. Senators
Email U.S. SENATORS Joe Manchin (D-WV), Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), Susan Collins (R-ME), and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) to tell them the vital urgency of action, the critical need to suspend the filibuster, and the passage of necessary and relevant legislation. Tell them to use their power to protect women’s rights.
OR CALL THEM:
Senator Manchin: 202-224-3954
Senator Sinema: 202-224-4521
Senator Collins: 202-224-2523
Senator Murkowski: 202-224-6665
What to Say:
- Hello! I am calling from [STATE] to tell Senator [NAME]to use [his/her] voice to speak up to suspend the filibuster currently impacting women’s reproductive rights. It’s time for Senators and states to unite, and it is vital that Senator [NAME] pledges [his/her] support for women, our/their choices regarding our/their own bodies and our/their lives.
After you reach out to the Senators, TELL SOMEBODY else and encourage them to do the same!
Link to National Pan-Hellenic Council
Stop the Assault on Women
We must STOP THE ASSAULT ON WOMEN. According to the National Center on Violence Against Women in the Black Community:
- African American girls and women 12 years and older experienced higher rates of rape and sexual assault than White, Asian, and Latina girls and women from 2005-2010.
- One in four Black girls will be sexually abused before the age of 18.
One in five Black women are survivors of rape.
- Seventeen percent of black women experienced sexual violence other than rape by an intimate partner during their lifetime.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, you are encouraged to Tell Somebody. You can confidentially contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673 (24/7).
Official Documents Shedding Light on State of Women’s Reproductive Rights:
- Fact Sheet: President Biden to Sign Executive Order Protecting Access to Reproductive Health Care Services: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/07/08/fact-sheet-president-biden-to-sign-executive-order-protecting-access-to-reproductive-health-care-services/
- Women’s Health Protection Act of 2022: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/8296?s=1&r=1
- Ensuring Access to Abortion Act of 2022: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/8297/text?r=1&s=1
- Center for Reproductive Rights – Abortion Laws by State: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/abortion-laws-by-state/
News Articles Offering Deeper Understanding of Issues at Hand:
- The Filibuster, Explained: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/04/09/what-is-filibuster/
- Action Alert: End the Filibuster Now: https://now.org/action-alert-end-the-filibuster-now/
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v Wade: https://www.essence.com/news/roe-v-wade-scotus/
- Abortion Trigger Bans: https://www.npr.org/2022/08/22/1118635642/abortion-trigger-ban-tennessee-idaho-texas
- Abortion Bans Interactive Map: https://abcnews.go.com/US/interactive-map-shows-abortion-bans-effect-doctors-face/story?id=85881916
- Black Women and Sexual Violence: https://now.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Black-Women-and-Sexual-Violence-6.pdf
- Abortion Rights Impact on Inmates: https://khn.org/news/article/abortion-rights-policies-incarcerated-prison-jail/amp/
News Articles About Senators Manchin, Sinema, Collins, and Murkowski:
Resources for People Needing Support:
National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673 (24/7)
Local Sexual Assault Service Providers
STAY INFORMED AND TELL SOMEBODY
Contact Us for sponsorship opportunities