The oldest son of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said he was pleased HBCUs will be getting more money from the federal government, but lamented that it’s coming at the expense of other schools in need. During an interview with WAVY-TV at Norfolk State University’s 90th anniversary founder’s breakfast Wednesday morning, Martin Luther King III referenced a number of issues, including funding for Historically Black Colleges and Universities, to safety issues facing those colleges and other topics. The Department of Education revealed that HBCUs, along with tribal colleges and universities, would receive a one-time investment of nearly $500 million. But the source of where the funding comes from is stirring controversy.“I believe deeply in diversity, equity and inclusion,” King III said in his speech. “So if you’re against that, then that means you almost are against everything.”The announcement of HBCU funding earlier this week was an unexpected move made by the Trump Administration and brings a new twist to the dismantling of DEI, as the money was made available from the defunding of grant programs from other minority institutions. Martin King III said it boils down to what’s a priority in the community.“I’m always pleased when HBCUs are getting resources,” King III said. “So that’s positive. And so, it’s also negative to cut other universities when in fact, we don’t have unlimited funds.U.S. Congressman Bobby Scott (D-VA) also released a statement about the funding announcement. “Historically Black Colleges and Universities are chronically underfunded and under-resourced,” Scott said. “And while I appreciate any influx in funding of HBCUs, it should not come at the expense of funding minority serving institutions who are also in need of this funding.”The time of the funding announcement comes just days after the killing of conservative activist Charlie Kirk, when HBCUs across 12 states, including Hampton University, received terroristic threats in the aftermath.