Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. South Dakota allows any voter to request a ballot by mail. You can also vote in person. South Dakota offers early voting.
Vote in person
Vote on Election Day
Voters registered in South Dakota can look up where to vote on South Dakota’s site.
South Dakota voters can also vote before Election Day through a process called absentee in-person voting. The period for absentee in-person voting runs from Friday, September 18, 2020 to Monday, November 2, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
What to bring
- You will be asked to show photo ID to vote in South Dakota. Acceptable forms include: South Dakota driver’s license or non-driver’s ID card; US government photo ID (including a passport); US armed forces ID; current student photo ID from a South Dakota high school or South Dakota accredited institution of higher education; or a tribal photo ID.
- Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you can sign a personal identification affidavit and still be allowed to vote a regular ballot.
Who can vote
You have to register to vote before Election Day in South Dakota. You can find the deadline to register to vote in the “Dates and deadlines” section.
To register in South Dakota you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- reside in South Dakota
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- not be currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system
- not have been adjudged mentally incompetent by a court
- *find more information on voting rights restoration here
Vote by mail
- Request your mail-in ballot with a mail ballot application.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request to your local election office. You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Monday, November 2, 2020.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.