Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. New Mexico allows any voter to request a ballot by mail. You can also vote in person. New Mexico offers early voting.
Vote in person
Vote on Election Day
Voters registered in New Mexico can look up where to vote on New Mexico’s site.
New Mexico voters can also vote before Election Day. The early voting period runs from Saturday, October 17, 2020 to Saturday, October 31, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
What to bring
- If you’ve voted in New Mexico before, you don’t need to provide ID to vote.
- If you’re a first-time voter who registered by mail, and didn’t include a copy of ID when you registered, you will need to show ID to vote. Acceptable forms include: photo ID; student ID card; ID issued by an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo; or a copy of a utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows your name and current address.
- Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you will be able to vote a provisional ballot.
Who can vote
You have to register to vote before Election Day in New Mexico. You can find the deadline to register to vote in the “Dates and deadlines” section.
To register in New Mexico you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of the State of New Mexico
- be 18 years of age at the time of the next election
- not have been denied the right to vote by a court of law by reason of mental incapacity and, if convicted of a felony, have completed all conditions of probation or parole, served the entirety of a sentence or have been granted a pardon by the Governor.
- *find more information on voting rights restoration here
Vote by mail
- Request your mail-in ballot with a mail ballot application.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request to your local election office. You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 20, 2020.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.