Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. Montana allows any voter to request a ballot by mail. You can also vote in person. Montana offers early voting.
Vote in person
Vote on Election Day
Voters registered in Montana can look up where to vote on Montana’s site.
Montana voters can also vote before Election Day through a process called absentee in-person voting. The period for absentee in-person voting runs from Monday, October 5, 2020 to Monday, November 2, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
What to bring
- You will be asked to show ID to vote in Montana. Acceptable forms include: a current photo ID showing your name; or a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, voter registration confirmation, government check or other government document showing your current name and address.
- Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you can still vote by requesting and filling out a “Polling Place Elector ID” form. Or, you can vote a provisional ballot. Your provisional ballot will be counted if you provide one of the items on the list to the county election office by 5:00 p.m. the day after the election, or mail it to the county election office postmarked by the day after the election.
Who can vote
You have to register to vote before Election Day in Montana. You can find the deadline to register to vote in the “Dates and deadlines” section.
To register in Montana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be at least 18 years old on or before the election
- be a resident of Montana and of the county in which you want to vote for at least 30 days before the next election
- not be in a penal institution for a felony conviction
- not currently be determined by a court to be of unsound mind
- *find more information on voting rights restoration here
Vote by mail
- Request your mail-in ballot with a mail ballot application.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request to your local election office. You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Monday, November 2, 2020.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.