Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. Michigan allows any voter to request a ballot by mail. You can also vote in person. Michigan offers early voting.
Vote in person
Vote on Election Day
Voters registered in Michigan can look up where to vote on Michigan’s site.
Michigan voters can also vote before Election Day through a process called absentee in-person voting. The period for absentee in-person voting runs from Thursday, September 24, 2020 to Monday, November 2, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
What to bring
- You will be asked to show current photo ID to vote in Michigan. Acceptable forms include: Michigan driver’s license or state ID card; current (non-expired) driver’s license or personal ID card issued by another state; federal or state government-issued photo ID; US passport; military ID card with a photo; tribal ID card with a photo; or a student ID with a photo from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education.
- Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you can vote like any other voter by signing an affidavit.
Who can vote
You have to register to vote before Election Day in Michigan. You can find the deadline to register to vote in the “Dates and deadlines” section.
To register in Michigan you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be 18 years old by the next election
- be a resident of Michigan and at least a 30 day resident of your city or township by election day
- not be confined in a jail or prison after being convicted and sentenced
- *find more information on voting rights restoration here
Vote by mail
- Request your mail-in ballot with a mail ballot application.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request to your local election office. You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Friday, October 30, 2020. Your request must be received by 5 p.m. the Friday before the election (October 30, 2020).
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.