Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. Louisiana offers absentee ballots by mail to voters who will be unable to vote in person. All other voters are expected to vote in person. Louisiana offers early voting.
Vote in person
Vote on Election Day
Voters registered in Louisiana can look up where to vote on Louisiana’s site.
Louisiana voters can also vote before Election Day. The early voting period runs from Tuesday, October 20, 2020 to Tuesday, October 27, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
What to bring
- You will be asked to show photo ID to vote in Louisiana. Acceptable forms of photo ID include: a Louisiana driver’s license or special ID card; LA Wallet digital driver’s license; a United States military identification card that contains the applicant’s name and picture; or some other generally recognized picture ID that contains your name and signature.
- Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you may still cast your vote by signature on a voter affidavit.
Who can vote
You have to register to vote before Election Day in Louisiana. You can find the deadline to register to vote in the “Dates and deadlines” section.
To register in Louisiana you must:
- be a U.S. citizen;
- be 17 years old (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles), but must be 18 years old to vote;
- not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony or, if under such an order not have been incarcerated pursuant to the order within the last five years and not be under an order of imprisonment related to a felony conviction for election fraud or any other election offense pursuant to La. R.S. 18:1461.2;
- not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or partial interdiction with suspension of voting rights;
- reside in the state and parish in which you seek to register; and
- must be registered at least 20 days prior to an election if registering through our GeauxVote Online Registration System with a Louisiana driver’s license or Louisiana special ID card or 30 days prior to an election if registering in person or by mail to be eligible to vote in that particular election. If mailing in an application, the application or envelope must be postmarked 30 days prior to the first election in which you seek to vote.
- *find more information on voting rights restoration here
Vote by mail
- Review the absentee ballot application and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request to your local election office. You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Friday, October 30, 2020.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.